Home Health Aide Regulations in Wyoming
Since Wyoming is a sparsely populated, there are only around 100 home care companies operating in the state. However, this does not make the state any less strict on its requirements for those providing home health services.
Home health agencies operating in the state must hold a valid license from the Wyoming department of Health. Agencies are regulated under the requirements in the Rules and Regulations for Licensure of Home Health Agencies and Program Administration of Home Health Agencies.
How to Become a Home Health Aide in Wyoming
Wyoming has stringent requirements for home health aides, requiring all aides to be certified nursing assistants (CNA). Within 4 months of their initial employment, aides must be placed on the state’s CNA Registry.
CNA training programs must be a minimum of 75 hours and include 16 hours of supervised clinical training. In addition to this certification, CNAs must receive 16 hours of additional training on home health issues within the first 2 weeks of being hired by an agency.
To find a training program in your area, check the Department of Health’s list of approved CNA training programs.
Find a Wyoming Home Health Aide Job
To find employment with a home health agency, popular online job boards can be helpful in your search. Below are some of the best job boards to use:
- Indeed Home Health Aide Jobs
- Simply Hired Home Health Aide Jobs
- NursingJobs.org Home Health Aide Jobs
How to Find a Home Health Aide in Wyoming
Before you begin your search, have a clear idea of the types of services you’re looking for, how you will be paying (Medicare/Medicaid, private insurance, out of pocket), and whether you want to use an agency or independent provider. Below are the best ways to go about finding a home health aide.
Using online directories is one of the easiest and most efficient ways to find home health services. The Wyoming Healthcare Facility Directory maintained by the Department of Health lists all licensed and certified health providers in the state. Care Pathways’ Home Care Agency Directory lists agencies by city and whether or not they meet the requirements for participation in Medicare. The Medicare Home Health Compare tool lets you find Medicare-certified home health care providers in your area.
Look in the Yellow Pages under “Nurse Registries”, “Aging” or “Senior Services” to find home health providers. You can also consider running a classified ad in the newspaper for a home health aide, where you can specify your exact needs.
Ask Trusted Sources
Ask your physician for recommendations of the best home health providers in your area. You can also reach out to family or friends who have experience with a home health agency or independent aide. Getting home health care recommendations from a trusted source can help ensure you make the right choice.
How to Choose a Wyoming HHA
Before you begin interviewing potential HHAs, make sure you know exactly which type of services you’ll need. Below are some questions to help you during your search.
Questions for Home Health Agencies:
- Do you hold a valid license with the state? (This is required)
- Are you Medicare certified? (This means the agency meets the requirements for participation in Medicare)
- Do your home health aides hold current certification as CNAs? (This is required)
- Are your home health aides on the state’s CNA registry? (This is required; verify an aide’s status here)
- Will home health aides be given a plan of care from a supervisor? (This is required; written instructions must be given by the aide’s supervisor every 60 days)
- Do you have any doctors or patients who I can get in touch with for feedback on your agency?
Wyoming Home Health Resources
Visit the following online sources, used in compiling this article, to learn more about home health in Wyoming:
- Home Health Agency — Wyoming Licensure Information
- Rules and Regulations for Licensure of Home Health Agencies
- Program Administration of Home Health Agencies
- Rules for Certified Nursing Assistants
- Wyoming Department of Health Aging Division
To learn more about home health licensure in Wyoming, contact:
Healthcare Licensing and Surveys
6101 Yellowstone Rd, Ste 186C
Cheyenne, WY 82002
Telephone: (307) 777-7123
To learn more about senior services in Wyoming, contact:
Wyoming Department of Health
6101 Yellowstone Road
Cheyenne, WY 82002